PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legality of Amy Johnson Initiative - Equality Act 2010
Old 30th Sep 2017, 16:29
Anunaki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting, have you spoken to the UK Equality and Human rights commission? The wording in the adverts are pretty clever, there is no discriminatory language in the application form or in the job requirements. So technically a man can apply, won't be called for an interview tho...

Gender has been a major trending topic in the last 3 years or so, they are simply following that trend, not because they care but because its a great marketing tool I think.

I might be wrong, but minorities are severely under represented in the flight deck, in the USA black pilots for example, account to only 2% of pilots, much less than women.

As a foreigner in the UK, I feel that the issue people often don't like to talk about is how classist the country is. If you don't fit that "box" of privately educated, middle/high class, the climb is much steeper for you.

The scheme should change to a bursary or scholarship for those who are outstanding candidates, but weren't privileged enough to get the financial support for training, independent of gender or race, or social class. I'd applaud them, but as it is now, I think it's propaganda. Anyone who has worked in recruitment knows that there is discrimination, dirty secret you're not allowed to talk about it tho.