PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-FWGH 738 slow take off BFS : AAIB
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 07:17
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower than expected N1 values as a result of erroneous EPR indication we're a contributory cause of the Air Florida B732 crash many years ago.
It is easier to cross check EPR with expected N1 at the commencement of the roll than judge acceleration rate.

indeed, and that became an SOP in my B732 outfit. Both numbers were written on the bug card.

Back to the topic incident. As Bob E says there is a lack of knowledge of the a/c today and application of gross error checks etc. It is a training issue, no doubt. Today's concept is learn how to use the EFB, learn how to program the FMC, learn the SOP's, learn to follow the FD & let the automatics do everything for you. "It's safer the way." Duh.
There is no feeling for what should be correct and if it ain't then something is wrong, so check it.

Increasing thrust during takeoff roll due to lacklustre acceleration is a good idea & reactive: checking the thrust setting after the calculation seems low is a good idea & is proactive. Which is better? But the latter can only happen if you've paid attention previously and not been a trained monkey.