PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-FWGH 738 slow take off BFS : AAIB
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 15:15
bob eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another example of a Pilot/Automation interface failure...

That's 'ok'...

However... what we continue to 'miss' is the back to basics of being a 'Pilot' of an aircraft.

What should be happening in this situation is clear... A 'thinks bubble'... 'Hey... why are we accelerating so slowly? Why is the runway end coming up? Mmmm, something is not right...

Reaction... before, or certainly past V1, we are now going flying. Lets apply full-power, manually (Firewall the trust levers) and get this aircraft into the air and climbing away. Sort out/discuss the cause later.

30+ years of check and training experience says one thing to me. This is a training issue... even probably a 'pilot selection' issue. And fundamentally, a regulator issue.

It starts with more than 'I have £100k, please make me a pilot' and should absolutely ensure that at 'ab-initio' and 'basic' flying training, commonsense and 'natural' pilot aptitude is followed up right through a pilots career/training.

Yes, we need more pilots and the demand for pilots is ever increasing. But this incident is a hairs breath away from yet another totally avoidable hull loss...

History is littered with similar incidents/accidents. The time will come where we reach tipping point on 'dumming' down selection and training versus front page 'newspaper' reports of yet another accident.

Do we have to wait for this? The 'threat' is clear. Lets do something about it now. There are more and more threat signals every year. That response must also include by-passing commercial pressures and e.g.: share and stakeholder budget cutting 2% YOY, in training and regulation. The industry at large, will be much better off as a result.