PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 21st Sep 2017, 08:42
bunta130

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's just unfortunate that most of my scurrilous anecdotes involve a few posters on this thread already.....I have a raft of less dodgy ones, in times when there was considerable (usually fairly juvenile) fun to be had.

There I was, out of Hawaii en-route to Guam, with just a single crew (plus extra skipper (Chickenlover) Loadie and Nav) on my one and only global.

Just reached TOC and was accelerating to the hugely impressive 205Kts or so cruise IAS when a request from the back to lower the nose came over the intercom. I duly dropped it by a couple of degrees for a few seconds, then raised it again (as requested from down the back). After getting back to level, the nose drop request was repeated....this time, I asked why.....expecting either news of drips from an elevator booster pack or a level drop in one of the reservoirs......

The reason for the attitude changes was a Chickenlover BX purchase. Our recently-emptied freight bay provided an excellent opportunity to test his new skateboard, but clearly he couldn't be bothered to use anything other than gravity to propell it...

Other than flying through Typhoon Gilbert between HK and Singapore, the rest of that route's flying was uneventful (although that was far less dodgy than anticipated); the nitestops were, as ever with a good crew, the highlights.... I think we had routed via Lajes on the way out, so the Class 6 had provided a fair few supplies for the Kitty.