PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missed Approach - when to climb?
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2017, 07:56
Virtually There

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AerocatS2A
Couple of points:

1. On a precision approach the DA is at the MAP, so no, you don't normally climb out before the MAP on a precision approach. However, if you did do a missed approach prior to the DA then you would climb out straight away.

2. You say it is common to be out of tracking tolerance. No, it is not common. What is common, is to track down the middle of the approach and either get visual and land or not get visual and go around. I have never been, nor seen anyone fly, out of tolerance outside of a simulator session.
1. Yes, if you are bang on glidescope. And your aircraft has altimetre pressure correction. Otherwise, you might be a little under (still within tolerances), or have a 50' higher DA, and reach it just prior to the published MAPt. But now, I think, we might be splitting hairs.

2. So maybe "common" was the wrong choice of words. It happens. I've seen it happen, I've done it myself - and for the record I climbed and flew to the MAPt. Instructors see it all the time - otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. If you only see it in sims, then I'm guessing you likely fly jets with a coupled auto-pilot. But I don't know you, so I'm only going to guess - I'm not going to make an assumption.