PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question regarding BEA/BOAC airport chart marterial
Old 13th Sep 2017, 15:26
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
blind pew is correct about the BEA charts and the PLOGS produced in house using Letraset.

BOAC owned its own chart producing company, Aerad, which printed en-route airways charts, area charts and airfield instrument approach and airfield charts. Sets of these were provided for the pilots in the aircraft library - the instrument approach and airfield charts being contained in ring bound folders and and the airways charts in a book of plastic wallets. For navigation sectors, if I remember rightly, we used SAS produced N Atlantic navigation charts with Loran hyperbolae, Consol arcs already printed on them. I forget what we used across the Pacific.

When the 747 was introduced and INS was retrofitted into the 707s and VC10s the documentations was changed for use by a three man crew with the flight engineer fully integrated into the flightpath monitoring. A complete set of charts (airfield, instrument approach, SIDs/STARs, area and en-route) were included in new stowages for each of the three crew members. We experimented with PLOGS but they were quickly abandoned because of the many changes of route, especially in the US.

BEA used a system of MSA contours which was adopted for use by both longhaul and shorthaul and which became the Aerad standard for all instrument approach charts. We also adopted area manoeuvring charts which displayed a 'target' pattern consisting of DME circles and VOR radials so the crew could check the safety of radar vectors which, in some parts of the world, were highly suspect! These also showed MSA contours.

Airways charts continued to be kept in books of plastic wallets. Instrument approach, airfield and SIDs/STARs charts were combined into booklets for each airfield.

I hope this answers all your questions.