PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 13th Sep 2017, 08:27
[email protected]

Received 622 Likes on 270 Posts
Flimsy - at all seems to be over far too quickly for a proper entry into an aggravated full VRS - initially he pulls the nose up to wash off the speed with, from what I can see, 40% Tq applied.

Then he falls behind ETL and describes the 'drop' and an almost instant 2000'/min RoD and by then the nose is 10+ degrees down - then he pulls in power.

So what he has done is enter a slow speed, almost autorotative descent - I expect the Min Pitch on Ground Tq is between 15 and 20% - at least with a very low power.

We can't see from the video what happens to the IAS at this point but with that nose down it will be increasing to take you out of VRS conditions so applying full power will inevitably recover the situation.

To be convincing, he needs to get the descent going, maintain the low IAS and then pull pitch in that configuration - that would induce full VRS.

I don't think he would fly out of that in a few seconds.

As I said earlier, VRS accidents/incidents usually occur with an already high pitch/Tq setting - often in trying to come to an OGE hover or controlling a steep/downwind approach.

The use of roll rather than pitch would be better in the event of a downwind approach since it is a quicker route to clean air but that's the only place I can see it being of value (unless there is a mountain in the way).

If anyone has more convincing video footage of this 'technique' then it would be good to see it.