PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Times in the pit
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2017, 04:55
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pomme pilot

As one of the more positive posters on these threads, I think it important you're aware of how dynamic the Middle East can be, especially in regards to contracts, policies and procedures. Not just in aviation, but in all dealings here.

Like the forever changing sands of the desert, policies can change here overnight. This has the potential to really effect your quality of life, not only for you but also your family. The old adage 'happy wife, happy life' still holds true and is perhaps more important when you move away from your home Country and from trusted family support. I've seen far too many of my colleagues lose their marriage and family, some of which is directly attributable to work related issues and pressures. Simply, EK could be a truly great Company but is prevented from being so by an autocratic style of senior management assisted by unsupportive middle management. A large number of this management team have little integrity or intent to help, nor do they carry the real responsibility that their titles would imply. There are some exceptions, some really good and caring individuals that are professional and personal, but it's the bad ones that leave the bitter taste. That creates dissatisfaction and disengagement amongst an increasing number of pilots. It is my belief that this disinterest leads to negativity on the flight deck and the erosion of professional standards. We're now seeing that attitude pervade into operational events. Nobody wants to go to work and do a bad job but unless you're motivated and engaged, subconsciously your performance will be under par. Without wishing to sound dramatic, if both pilots adopt a similar laissez fair behaviour on the day, the holes will line up, no doubt about it.

For a large number of the workforce, and particularly pilots, things work out well and EK provides a good solid basis for employment. Despite current concerns, it's a solid Company with a strong brand and most importantly, pays every month on time. However, if you're unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, life can be very different. The point being that you may join with the policy in your favour but by the following week, it's changed. The upgrade policy we have is not only the most convoluted and complicated, but also the most unreasonable. Age is a poor benchmark for competency full stop. What you need as a Commander is maturity, not age. The two are completely unrelated. To lose the potential of some great talent, purely on the basis of one's age is completely illogical. Compound this policy by making the age different for aircraft types and the policy becomes even more ridiculous. 32 for a B777 but you'll need another 3 for the 380? Why? Either you're suitable to command a commercial aircraft or you're not, regardless of how many passengers it holds. Unless of course you consider our customers more precious on the Super jet!

Policies such as this destroy morale, trust and above all, undermine the whole upgrade and training process, a process in which reports from experienced and knowledgable TRE's should form the basis of suitability, not the EVP Flight Operations who's never sat in a cockpit all his life. Micro management such as this is as much a reflection on a senior manger's own shortcomings as it is on those ineffective and unassertive managers below them.

FLEX/MCT

You have my full empathy for your situation and wish you well when your turn eventually comes....if you're still here that is!

Harry