PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2017, 11:38
nwoody2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATNotts
I'm not sure who's going to choose Ryanair over Lufthansa, leaving aside the industrial problems for which LH has become imfamous over the past couple of years. Even at 14 weekly, FR wouldn't be appealing to business PAX, they'll be no opportunity for interlining at FRA and to be honest Frankfurt am Main isn't exactly a tourism magnet.

However as always with Ryanair, I feel sure they'll pick up PAX from somewhere - else drop the routes within 6 months.

I am not suggesting business pax would pick FR over LH, but just look at the facts.

- LH 4x daily flights, commonly full with pax needing to be off-loaded last week due to flights being over sold.

- prices are sky-high reflecting demand. One-way tickets base prices are £150. Flights next week short notice are near £300 one-way

- In comparison, RYR are offering 6x weekly flights from MAN at £14.99!!!

Whilst the current situation is great for business, its pretty dire for tourists. I don't know a single citybreaker that will pay 10-20x price to fly from BHX instead of MAN.

At that variation, BHX will lose market share. For the airport to service its community, it needs to serve both business and locals, not just the high paying business men. A daily FR is unlikely to dent the 4x daily LH operation!!!