PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun avgeek
Thread: Maun avgeek
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2017, 08:39
PilotInPink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While we are predominantly hiring citizens, there is definitely a need for higher hour expats entering the system. Many companies are finding themselves in a position where they have 200 hour pilots and management pilots, but no one in between.

870 is a good amount of total time. Hatton is correct about the type ratings- but that only applies for pilots who come from places such as South Africa or New Zealand where type ratings exist. If your licence is FAA or EASA where you only have class ratings for single engine piston aircraft, then that is sufficient. However, an hour or two of dual instruction in each of the C206 and GA8 will help.

Personally, I disagree when Hatton says that previous bush flying experience will help you. I actually cringe when I see that on a CV. We will teach you how to fly into the strips the way that we want you to. Every company has standard operating procedures based on decades of operations here. Pilots who have done short, bush flying courses may find that training here takes longer because you first have to un-learn everything. An open mind and a clean slate is easier for the training captains.

Dangerous goods, CRM and first aid certificates are definitely welcome and helpful. As are an instructor rating (with instructing experience) and courses in safety management and quality assurance. I foresee a problem in the not so distant future where Maun runs out of suitable training captains, so instructing is definitely bonus points for any applicant.

One final point, what does it say on your pilot licence? You hold a commercial pilot licence. "CPL with ATPL exams completed" if it makes you feel better. I have yet to see a licence that says "Frozen ATPL". I'm sure that other people may feel differently, but it annoys me when people use that term.