PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anything But A CFI Job!
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2017, 20:58
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by westhawk
Ah the old "I'm too good to have to be a CFI" windup!

Well some pilots aren't well suited to be a CFI.
westhawk,

Just for the heck of it, I'm going to come to the defense of FlyingAlly. I don't see anything he said indicating he thought he was "too good" to CFI; he just doesn't want to. I've known plenty of pilots who feel the same way. Myself included so I can speak with some authority and I've done my homework and soul searching to arrive at the decision against it.

When I scurried down the hawsers from the sinking ship along with 2300 of my fellow rats, I did reasonable due diligence on becoming a CFI as something to do in aviation and decided against it. Could I have offered some insight to students from my 35+ years and 23,000 hours of flying ?

Maybe...we'll never know.

I went to a local flight school and sat down with a guy to find out what I'd need to do. I quickly realized I didn't know the difference between a chandelle and a chandelier. I must have at some distant time in the past but I sure as heck didn't now. What's more, I don't care what that difference is...nor do I care to learn, much less spend time teaching anyone about stuff like that...it's pathologically boring. People deserve better dedication than I could muster. So, I abandoned the notion.

And...two compatriots who CFI'd throughout their airline careers but ultimately stopped advised me not to for liability reasons. Maybe one could buy insurance ? Really want to face the potential of slaying THAT dragon ? Do you, really ?

Oh, I'm an old guy and he's a young guy so there's a difference in this context ? Nope...

All things considered, CFIing isn't for everyone and does NOT mean they think they're "too good" to do it.

Last edited by bafanguy; 12th Aug 2017 at 22:15.