PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vectoring at Gatwick
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 15:43
Doody2007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although, with the coming of pbn and rnav transitions from the primary holds onto the ILS, I can see a day in the next 5-15 years when radar vectoring onto the ILS will be the exception rather than the norm.

Point merge at Dublin, Copenhagen, Paris and, before long, Manchester, will see the demise of race track holds and radar vectors.

These approaches will remain radar monitored and as such radar separation will be applied rather than procedural, however, they will be pretty much pilot interpreted rather than having controller intervention. The advantage to the pilot, you can see from your fms exactly how far you are from touchdown rather than our best guess allowing you to set up and fly the aircraft as you see fit.

From a controller point of view, a much reduced workload and RT loading allowing us to move more aircraft.

There are drawbacks of course. It only works providing aircraft are reasonably similar in performance, it won't work if the rnav route is taken out due weather or a cat b flight or something like that. It requires a fair bit of airspace to contain point merge arcs.

There may still be a little radar vectoring by a finals director to either tighten up or loosen off a sequence. However, the radar vectoring by an initials controller will go by the way side.

I am a radar controller by the way, and I happen to enjoy the radar vectoring side. Just, I believe it's getting to the point where it's had it's day.

I'm going to go and grab my hard hat now as I'm sure I've just opened the flood gates to all kinds of abuse from fellow professionals. However, before anyone starts, I would ask that you have a look at the various YouTube clips of point merge in action and see that it does work!

Cheers