PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad/iPhone applications - Biz Jet operators
Old 5th Aug 2017, 21:49
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well allot has changed in 4 years! I'm not really a much of an Apple product fan, but after having been forced by my new job to get an iPAD, Im impressed with the capabilities in spite of the many irritating i-device "isms"

Here in the US, Foreflight is the big thing in flight software functionality. It really is quite amazing how much info can be displayed on an iPad using Foreflight. They even closed a deal to integrate Jepp recently. So now you can fly around with enroute chart, IAP or taxi diagram displayed with your very precise position on the chart depicted when you use a bluetooth connected GPS. There is a new device you can now buy that will import XM weather, Doppler wx RADAR and traffic information service into the foreflight app on the iPad too. THe Ipad can also act as a stby attitude indicator and Foreflight has a terrain database and acts as a pseudo terrain awareness display. You can create and store flight plans as well as file them and receive wx briefings. There is also provision to store documents like AFMs, checklists, and books galore. Our company is almost entirely paperless on the flight ops side of the house, with the iPads being the primary information medium for pilots.

We still carry the AFM and legal documents in the plane but that's about all that isn't stored in Foreflight. Interesting times...