PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grounded due to historical issue, case taking months at CAA
Old 26th Jul 2017, 16:45
B2N2

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Listen.
Hate to rain on anybodies parade here but at some point you need to stop.
This industry is not for everybody for a plethora of reasons.
Hundreds, yes hundreds loose their medical each year. Blood pressure, eye sight, accidents you name it and it happens.
There is such a thing as liability on the side of the CAA.
They approve your medical and you have an 'event, 5-10-12 yeas from now they are liable, morally and ethically responsible.
Nobody is waiting for another Euro-wings. Now the chances of this happening are slim. But not zero. Not zero with a pilot that never had an 'episode' and not zero with somebody who has had an 'episode'. And you...have had an 'episode'.

Two to three years ago (while in possession of a class 2 certificate and a PPL, but not actively flying) I went through a bit of a rough patch due to various personal difficulties and underwent a course of cognitive behavioural therapy. As there was no actual specific diagnosis (the therapy was aimed more at addressing some unhelpful OCD - oriented symptoms that didn't actually indicate a full blown clinical diagnosis) and I was at no point medicated I didn't report anything to my AME or the CAA.
What I'm reading are excuses, excuses and excuses.
While you held a medical you didn't report it.
Admitting to it later doesn't change that.
Your chances may have been better had you reported it immediately.

Stop denying that anything occurred.
It was only this, it was only that.
The determination of the severity is no longer in your hands.

It eventually boils down to a simple yes or no.

Example;
You get stopped by the police for speeding and you fail a breathalyzer test. You blow over the legal limit.
So now you go to court arguing your dog died and you took your dying granny to the hospital and you were only 5 mph over the posted limit and .01 over max.

Did you or didn't you exceed the speed limit? That's a yes.
Did you or didn't you exceed the max limit? That's a yes.
Guilty, case closed.

This has nothing to do with you and who you are and if you've been treated fairly.
You are a name on a piece of paper and you have received treatment for an 'episode' which is disqualifying.
End of story and at some point you need to accept this.