PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learjet 55 12 year inspection
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 00:29
flaps78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lear 55 12 year check suggestions

Greetings, I arranged to have a 12 year inspection done on a Lear 55 many years ago. I approached several approved Lear 55 service centers and asked them for copies of previous Lear 55 12 year inspection work orders. By doing this I could break down the cost and if additional upgrades had been done. I decided to use Duncan Aviation in Lincoln NB and have no regrets. It is my suggestion NOT to use a Bomardier Lear Jet facility as they want to replace all parts that have any wear. In other words they want to bring your aircraft back to new status. Another concern is that the Servce centre must have experience in removing the rear pressure bulkhead. If the rear pressure bulkhead gets damaged it is going to cost you money. Next concern is corrosion particularly under the floor around the lav area. This will take additional time = $$$ and your "out the door date" will get pushed back. Remember that all of the wiring has been "living" under the floor since the last 12 year. It has gone thru heat, cold, expansion and contraction and is probably brittle. When moved (inspected) expect some issues. I budgeted the Service Centre quote plus 50% and wasn't far off. The Lear 55 production started in 1981 and the girl is getting "long in the tooth". Expect additional costs. Be sure to have some one "baby sit" the aircraft to ensure that the assigned crew is working on your aircraft. Frequently the crew / team working on your aircraft will have questions. If you or your representative are there you can provide a quick answer. Good luck!
Regards,
Flaps 78