PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electric vehicles in the military
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2017, 13:59
PPRuNeUser0211

Received 180 Likes on 106 Posts
I think a few people have got it nailed for military application. Charging isn't going to happen in the field, so the solution is perhaps a hybrid in the mid term for logistics vehicles.

However, with regards civvy trucking I feel bound to disagree with a few. Sure there is an energy density problem, but outside of that, trucking has to be the easiest thing in the world to design for, because the usage pattern is almost entirely rigid within a given country. Driver is allowed to drive for X hours at Y mph. Must then take break of at least Z followed by repeat of X & Y and a further prescribed break. All one requires is the technology to charge for range X*Y in time Z & a decent charging infra. Then you're sorted. None of the standard consumer driver issues of 'but what about my holiday to the south of France where I want to drive there without stopping?'. Granted the technology is not easy , nor the infra cheap, but the goal is very clearly defined and I'd be amazed if someone hasn't achieved it (at least in prototype) inside a decade. Tesla have already stated they aim to develop a 'semi' I believe.