PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Rotorheads, a serious question re drones.
Old 13th Jul 2017, 11:34
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fellow Rotorheads, a serious question re drones.

Dear all,
As a long time PPRuNer and fellow Rotorhead, I am hoping i can get some sensible responses on this Forum.

As an ATPL holder, full time pilot and also a licensed Drone Operator, I am finding it increasingly difficult to argue my point with people regarding the safe use of drones (UAV).

When trying to explain that UAV, when operated legally and within the 'Drone Code' boundaries, or within the bounds of my 'Ops Manual' they remain a safe and efficient tool for us commercial operators. i.e. I can map 130 acres in about 20 minutes and produce hi-res images and accurate volumetric and area data whilst 'in the field'. For me to do this requires the following:-
A Drone
Public Liability Insurance
A UK CAA Permission for Commercial Operations (PfCO)
The Permission requires I have an up to date ops manual, an annual renewal of said permission, and carry out full risk assessments including, but not limited to checking Weather, Airspace, Notams, etc etc.

Anyway, I have been asked on a number of occasions what happens if I hit an aircraft with my drone, or have I had any close calls with drones whilst flying a helicopter? (especially in the centre of London)

My answer is I haven't even seen a drone whilst in flight so far.

So, for me to put together some general information and for further Safety Management use, can I please ask you the following questions?

1. Do you know of anyone who has had a close call with a drone whilst flying a helicopter?
2. Have you ever had a near miss with a drone?
3. Have you ever collided with a drone?
4. Have you ever seen a drone whilst flying a helicopter
5. Have you ever had a near miss with a bird?
6. Have you ever had a bird-strike anywhere on a helicopter, even if just a blade etc?

I don't really need specifics but if you care to add that detail that would be useful too.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

My answers:-
1. no
2. no
3. no
4. no
5. yes
6. yes

Last edited by helimutt; 13th Jul 2017 at 12:36.