PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!
Old 11th Jul 2017, 15:53
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A visual approach cleared to land on 28R and ahead are two lit strips the left one must be 28L so the right hand one is 28R

Just thinking about approach/landing briefs & TEM. Is 28C a landing runway? If that's the case, and it's included in the brief, then identifying 28L means the next one over is 28R doesn't fit the briefing. Surely 28C would have been mentioned.
Also, from a crew behaviour point of view I'm assuming they would not have briefed a visual approach from TOD and not set up an FMC approach. I'm assuming SFO has a preferential takeoff & landing combination; therefore if 28L is preferential takeoff rwy, it follows on that 28R is preferred landing rwy, and the FMC would have been programmed and briefed before TOD. Being short cut to a visual still leaves the MAP programmed for 28R.
I'm not familiar with SFO or A320, so please correct my assumptions as necessary. Someone also asked about the status of ILS on 28R. If it was on, and I assumed tuned, it would have showed some deflection. Were both heads outside all the time? PM duties etc?
Regarding the lights of a/c at night: in EU strobes are normally only used on the runway not holding. Thus perhaps only taxi lights & ACB's were showing. Amidst all the runway & taxiway lights a/c become hidden, especially from above. Remember the accident at LAX when a B737 landed on top of a Metroliner. When NTSB flew the approach they could not see the Metroliner hidden within the runway lighting. It's not that easy, seeing a/c, and you can believe your eyes are playing tricks. The brain has been programmed by ATC that is clear and you believe you're where you are supposed to be. I'm sure a GA would have been made by the crew eventually, but probably at a low height when it all suddenly became abundantly clear with a huge "WTF Go Around" call.