PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A question of CRM or simply Fly-by-Mouth
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2017, 14:54
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope you are joking about knuckle wrapping Framer.
In the past there were no shortage of stories of instructors who enjoy physical "encouraging" their students. It often happened in the airline industry where seniority protected the perpetrators. It was called bullying a captive audience; yet I am surprised to read in these pages that some students thought it was justified and laughed about it years later. It is never justified.

We had one of those "characters" in an 737 airline I was in. He was a former WW2 veteran - a one man band and he backed this up with big fists. During a descent into Western Samoa this chap set the MCP altitude to below the MSA for that sector and had every intention of descending below the MSA in IMC when the chart required not below sector MSA until inside a certain DME distance.

His co-pilot queried this and was told to shut up. When on further descent it was obvious this captain intended to break the rules, the co-pilot gave him one more warning only to be rebuffed again. The co-pilot then undid the crash axe which was situated in the cockpit, held it over the captains head and threatened the captain with the axe until the captain saw sense. The flight was completed safely and the incident was never mentioned again.