PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATC history book/articles
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 19:05
chevvron

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by zed3
xpz67... what is it about these 'managers'? I worked for 44 years in ATC and the last 10 or so were to put it mildly... conflictive. The place from the 70's to the 90's and even further was a real example of teamwork, we all worked for each other and for the organisation. Then in came a real weather change where management was all important and anyone who brought up counter arguments or ideas was 'anti' and marked as unsuitable for the common good. Yuk speak (in Roger Bacon, of Flight magazine, terms) took over and all common sense and community spirit was lost. Am I the only one to think this?... sad really but I'm glad to be out of the bear pit. They were great days, with wonderful colleagues, dulled by 'managers'.
Personal opinion: it seemed to me that some but not all managers appointed latterly via 'assessment centres' were those who were useless at operational work. They were then sent on management courses at places like Henley where they were taught industry type management rather than public service management.
I knew a manager for instance who, having completed the cadet course, never validated on anything other than ADC, yet still became a Watch Manager.
They could also enter things on your personal file which you didn't know about but which were blatantly untrue; I only found that had happened to me shortly before I retired and it explained why when applying for jobs, I never got past the 'paper sift'.