PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quick CPL(H) question for instructors (UK)
Old 16th Jun 2017, 07:21
Animal Mother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick CPL(H) question for instructors (UK)

Please bear with me, I'm trying to find a definitive answer to this. For me, the extracts below shows me that the CAA appear to not be able to differentiate it's arse from it's elbow, or it knows exactly what it's doing and doesn't give a toss.

In theory, if you have a CPL(H) and therefore require a Class 1 medical, you can "fail" the medical with colour vision deficiencies. However, the CAA will grant a licence with restrictions, as per:

"Class 1 applicants who fail advanced colour vision testing can request individual assessment by the Authority under MED.B.001 (“issued by the Licensing Authority”) and consideration will be given to restriction of privileges to “valid by day only” and “no public Commercial Air Transport” (VCL + SSL-ILA + SSL-NCAT)."

HOWEVER!

In order to obtain a CPL(H) in the first place you must compelte the CPL(H) training and pass the assessments/exams. So therefore must complete the following:

"Total flying training - at least 135 hours, including all progress tests, of which 5 hours may be instrument ground time If you hold an ICAO compliant PPL(H), 50% of the hours flown can be credited, up to a maximum of 40 hours, of which up to 20 hours can be dual instruction if you have a helicopter night rating, or 50 hours, of which up to 25 hours may be dual instruction,
The total flying training requirement (above) must include the following components:

Dual instruction
Visual instruction
Instrument instruction
MCC
PIC
Cross-country flying
Night flying
Instrument time"

This requirement includes the 5 hours of night flying.

So my question to instructors is:

Is there any form of dispensation available to allow completion of the CPL(H) but not complete the Night Flying element of the CPL(H), allowing the issuing of a restricted CPL(H) as per the CAA recommendations?

If the answer to the above question is "no". Then I don't see why the CAA would include the option for restrictions on a CPL(H) licence, due to colour vision issues, if you can't obtain a CPL(H) (or even do the course) in the first place!