PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LCY Remote Tower
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2017, 20:15
On the beach

Location: On a foreign shore trying a new wine diet. So far, I've lost 3days!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being an old fashioned, retired bod who reads about these "new innovations" with a fairly open mind, I'm having a little trouble seeing how the remote operation of LCY brings any benefits.

You still have to have a controller, presumably controlling, albeit now from a dark windowless room, (that should make up for all those brilliantly dazzling sunrises and sunsets) on the sunny south coast. Whilst up at LCY all the "skills" that were inherent in said controller now have to be supplemented by lots of CCTVs with infra-red capabilities or whatever and at what cost? Oh, did anyone mention cleaning said CCTV lenses when they fog up or get crap on them at just the wrong moment?

Not one to stand in the way of progress, but where is the cost saving, if this is what it's all about? Where's the job satisfaction? Sounds to me like another idea pinched from an under-utilised airport in Northern Norway that some poor misguided management "yoof" decided he would use to make his mark on his steady progression to the top.

Thankfully, I'm now well retired (not before time, I hear some shout) but I do miss those beautiful sunrises and sunsets and the bonhommie, not to mention the professional respect, engendered by a wave or thumbs up after a "greaser" or a well executed cross-wind landing at the limits, or that not so good bouncer.

I can't say I envy the "new" tower controllers at LCY Swanwick. They will miss out on what were some of the most enjoyable experiences of my time in ATC.

Think carefully about what you consider to be progress and be sure your UPS works!