PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF WSOp application advice
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2017, 15:29
Top Bunk Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TM I partially agree with what you say, I was 30 when I went through AAITC (Now NCAITC) in 1990 and had already served 12 years, I wished I had applied earlier but was realistic enough to realise I wasn't ready mentally until then. Never having been a gym bunny, I trained for 6 months before the course start, just running (read jogging a mile then throwing up in the early days) with and without webbing kit. Yes, I struggled badly physically but was encouraged, dragged, pushed by my fellow coursemates, for which I will always be grateful, plus I think we were the only course upto that point that never got a weekend off during the period, mainly due to the facist flight cdr, the only voice of reason being the AAITC DI FS (he knows who he is and we are still in touch). I reciprocated for the help given to me physcally, by assisting those younger members that were struggling mentally with the course. Don't get me wrong, they all had the apptitude, but some found the regime and the mental pressure very tough. With maturity, I found this aspect a breeze, and entered the course knowing that it was all scripted even down to the various bollockings we recieved, so could react with an appropriate sense of humour (OK, and sometimes an innapropriate level of sarcasm, but that was down to me sussing that the Flt Cdr was a w*nker very early on in the course, since born out by all those who knew him). So bottom line, the best course I've ever taken, it is most definately not an attendance course, and I made friends there for life. Everyone will find some aspect of the course very challenging, but play to your strengths, and remember 'nil carborundum illigitimae'