PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC 12 practice turn backs after simulated engine failure after take off
Old 19th May 2017, 02:01
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it seems you have a problem with the procedure in a PC12, without knowing how it's practised or flown. Nice work
I am sure the PC12 and the PC9 are fine aircraft which glides very well providing the prop is promptly feathered. But what if for some reason the prop is inadvertently left windmilling? Do pilots practice for that eventuality? Of course we can play "what if's" until the cows come home." After all there have been several GA accidents over the years where a light twin has gone in after engine failure after take off and the pilot was so busy he never got around to feathering the dead engine prop. The C402 Aerial Ambulance fatal crash after taking off from Essendon 35 is a case in point.
But you are quite right - I have never had the pleasure of flying these turbo-props and unfortunately it is all too easy to be talking out of my arse which you alluded to with "Nice Work."
On the other hand I did have the unpleasant experience of being on the Court of Inquiry and thus seeing the awful aftermath of a Winjeel turn back after a practice engine failure that went wrong resulting in both pilots being burned to death on impact. That experience tends to concentrate your mind about the pros and cons of turn backs and whether or not practice makes perfect or even increases the chances of an accident based on the adage get away with something long enough and the perceived danger diminishes.

I guess if Pilatus and the RAAF are perfectly happy to teach the manoeuvre as a safe option to landing ahead its OK with this scribe.