PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Squirrel helicopter crash in Bergen, Norway May 2017
Old 17th May 2017, 06:50
opfixclear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUBLE BOGEY
I liked the press conference. Praising the Norwegian Emergency services is a natural thing to do if you feel that your life or the life of your friend was saved by their help. I have not met Q but he seems a decent guy with a great beard.

Some really stupid arrogant posts on this thread. I have spent a lot of time over the ocean in a helicopter. Done the HUET thing a few times. However to listen to the reality of an unexpected ditching is very interesting having only imagined what it would be like.

I suspect the vitriolic posts on this thread are more to do with envy that three friends can up sticks, do a great flight to a super yacht just because they can. (Albeit as Q says, it ended with an accident).

I once took a Tesco step carrier bag into my disc on a night HEMS tak-off. No vibration but the noise was so dramatic my arse had eaten most of the seat cushion during the subsequent reject.

On the hero subject I recall another helicopter pilot and I am ashamed to say I have forgotten his name. He jumped into the maelstrom of water in the centre of the AH001 jacket (I think I have that right) to try and save some Bears who were trapped in there.only because he was the only one with an immersion suit on. I think he is a fixed wing pilot now and I recall talking to him on the ATC as he swanned over the NS on his way to somewhere exotic. He was also a really nice guy. He did get a medal for his incredible selfless act.

Good job Q and ignore the tossers on this thread!

My memory fades but I think the guy was Max (or was it Curtis ?) and it was on the MCP01. Early to mid 90s.