PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General Election 2017
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2017, 19:55
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangarshuffle
Utterly piss poor manifesto on Defence from the Labour Party, but I expected nowt less if I'm honest. Right now I cannot think who their shadow ministers are at all......yes my brain is small and tired but if even I don't know....
The national shipbuilding bit is horse bolted door closed but at least its a hint of a policy......
They are also hinting that they will bring in positive recruitment policy. That could be good. I would like to see less public school, more state school in the better jobs.
I think you're giving them more credit than they have policies. National shipbuilding and positive recruitment aren't policies, more like targeted support for key constituencies and voter demographics. Frankly, when we're as undermanned and stretched as we are, we need the best people we can get, regardless of origin. Anything else represents a risk to operational success, and in the worst case life, in the name of political correctness.

All that said, I doubt we'll see much more in the Tory manifesto. Have you noticed how the Tory campaign is increasingly becoming about Mrs May and less about the party? Just look at their 'battle bus' where her name is plastered all over and 'Conservative' gets a token mention by the door. Much more and it will look more like a personality cult than a political party. I'm dying to see how they squeeze 'strong stable leadership' in to the Defence manifesto.