PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General Election 2017
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2017, 15:55
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
CC,

I never lose my own personal capacity to be utterly bewildered, are you saying that the DM (I'm always prepared to accept they miss the meaning of intended satire, deliberately, just as many on the left can't take a joke at times) has got its report backside to the fore? If so I'll stand corrected but do you know, when I saw the pictures in the paper I didn't find them anything other than insidious, even before I read the supporting article. But I did think to myself, the DM will get a lampooning for this, someone somewhere will be able to take apart what they have written, on the face of it, however, it does appear like a genuinely subjective and up front denunciation of the entire concept of certainly the UK's Armed Forces. My question is how do Labour manage to get so tarnished with such controversial attacks on the entire concept of the military as an institution. Often they are forced, only just recently, to profess
an entirely different attitude toward National Security and Defence than the general image played out. But who can blame anyone for having doubts, when we read reports that Corbyn back during the Falklands described service personnel taking part in the liberation of the Falklands as unemployed men. How can you have a tag like that then try and paper over it by making a point of staying behind at the Cenotpah to shake ex-servicemens' hands like some retired Colonel. I just do not get it. Surely he is the beast he's portrayed as and he's simply trying to limit the damage in an area where he is not just weak but utterly at odds. I've no idea what kind of military posture we'd be left with after the gang of four (Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbot and Thornberry) have been at the helm for a year or two, or a term in office.
But I don't think it likely anyone could venture a remark like business as usual. Please don't tell me about how the Tories have made severe cuts in defence since 2010 and at times before. We know why, they've been struggling with an unmanageable still spiralling national debt and deficit. Corbyn reckons he can find £3,000,000,000 easily, for the NHS and all the good stuff! I imagine he'll get it from somewhere, now where do you think it'll come from?!

FB