PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 pro-active familiarisation for PPL
Old 15th Apr 2017, 20:58
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
AirWaterloo,

See if you can work out how to do self learning without using a simulator, digital map, FlightAware or Google Earth at all. Just paper for the first while....

I'm not saying that a digital map (including Google Earth) is not useful, but it's not what you need to learn first or best. That will come later - learn to fly a plane by feeling the controls, and looking out of the windshield. Listening to radio communications can be educational, if it is done in the context of integrating what you have been taught during flying instruction into your understanding. If you're simply listening to the communications, while interesting, it will have very limited basic training value. Focus on learning to fly the plane, by feeling the controls, and looking out the windshield.

A book on aviation English - excellent! More books! Yes, they can be on a computer, I'm not any computer, I just discourage the use of a computer to evade the basic disciplines of reading the required instructional material in written format, and distracting the student pilot from learning what the instructor has to teach.

An instructor who comes to recognize you've learned it wrong, will teach you the right way. They'll figure out how you learned it wrong. And, of course, they will charge you the time to provide the corrective instruction. You'll pay to unlearn what the sim showed you, and what you misinterpreted from the mapping software. When your instructor is ready, they may direct you to limited use of some mapping software. Wait for them to tell you the time is right for you.