PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Controllers and the Runway Caravan
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 19:51
taxydual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Shows and Caravan Controllers

I was always a bit sceptical when it came to Good Shows and Caravan Controllers. I my view 99% of them handed out were for things the Caravanner was paid and trained to do and spot.

Only one award, in my 12 years as a RWC stood out.

Topliffe, the Bulldog and RNEFTS.

The RWC was new to Topcliffe and the Bulldog and had just been cleared to caravan solo.

A Bulldog taxied out and stopped at the holding point doing his pre-takeoff checks.

The RWC heard an unusual noise and informed the Local Controller over the Hadley Box.

The Local Controller informed the pilot of the RWC's observation. After a bit of too-ing and fro-ing, the aircraft returned to the Bulldog line and the Engineers.

The Engineers couldn't hear anything unusual, neither could the crew and the aircraft was behaving normally. So, the Bulldog taxied out again. At the holding point, the RWC heard the same unusual noise again and reported his observations to the Local Controller. In turn, the aircraft was informed.

This time the too-ing and fro-ing was a touch more vehement and 'subtle' comments were made as to the RWC's suitability both over RT and the Hadley Box.

To give him credit, despite being belittled by the Local Controller, the Instructor in the Bulldog as well as the Duty Instructor in Local, the RWC stuck to his guns, and seeing that the RT too-ing and fro-ing was all recorded, common sense kicked in and the Bulldog returned to the Line for a second time.

Whereupon it was discovered the the aircraft starter motor had not disengaged from the engine and was very close to meltdown.

How do I fit into the picture?
I was the one who cleared the new RWC fit solo.
I was in Local observing when all this occurred.
I was the one who informed SATCO Leeming (on the QT) as to what had happened.

As well as triggering, to my mind one, of the best Good Show awards given to a RWC, much good came of this incident. The realisation that the lone guy in the Caravan is not there just for his health................