PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 01:11
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which we can mitigate by introducing illusions involving the inner ear/fatigue/whatever
Personal opinion only; but I wish I had a dollar for every time I see speculation that sensory illusions cannot be counted out as a contributory cause of IMC crashes. In most of the IMC/night accidents one reads about in accident reports, it seems a good bet that questionable basic instrument flying skills has a lot to do with these sort of prangs.

Re the Fly Dubai accident, I have seen pilots occasionally "freeze" on the 737 stab trim button during simulator training where a low altitude stall recovery was attempted while replicating the Turkish Airlines Amsterdam crash.

That was where the autothrottles went to idle during an auto-coupled ILS and the autopilot tried to fly the ILS glide slope and the stab trim had automatically wound slowly back to almost full aft by the time the aircraft stalled.

In this case, on the application of GA thrust and subsequent very strong pitch up (combination of high thrust and lots of back stab trim) strong forward elevator accompanied by forward stab trim action is required by the pilot to avoid an unusual attitude problem.

It is then we occasionally observe the pilot inadvertently keeping his thumb pressed hard on the stab trim button and in the heat of the moment forget to stop trimming. The usual result is the climb turns into a bunt and steep dive with no hope of recovery at that low altitude.