PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Handling
Thread: 737 Handling
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2017, 21:00
stator vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over controlling for sure

The aircraft physically cannot react to control inputs that fast. The mass and inertia will not allow it. Not sure of the time lapses between the frames, but a good 95% of the FOs I fly with, are not much off this in 5 knots of wind. I ask them what they are doing, what is prompting them to work the controls that much, but they have no answer. I point out the fact that the only reason you put left aileron in is because you put too much right aileron in, ab adsurdum. Neither flight directors, airspeed nor pitch actually require any input, but they are busy as bevees with aileron, elevator and thrust. Each time I tell them to let go of the controls, they are shocked at how good it flies by itself.

re: video-I've never seen an autopilot work like that. Even if it tried, it would not have the "experience" to "know" that the present updraft will soon be followed by a downdraft of roughly equal measure, the present roll moment to the left will soon be followed by a roll to the right, the present increase in airspeed is usually followed a by a roughly equal decrease in airspeed. In those cases, I've seen it simply disconnect, "admitting" it is unable to cope with the situation and prompting hopefully some more "intelligent" human intervention.

My private pilot instructor, a Huey driver in Nam, verbally and physically implanted into my hard head, not to over control. "Use pressures, not movements"

737-1,2,3,4,5,800

Last edited by stator vane; 19th Mar 2017 at 05:41. Reason: further explanation