PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Airlines (HKA)
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2017, 05:52
flyer25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How HKE compares to HKA

Well, I can't speak with any in-depth knowledge of the HKE's way of life except what I heard from friends while waiting on the bus station in DB or running into guys during pass training. I have more current info on HKA obviously, but both company's are part of the Hainan Group but are treated quite differently if you look at the contracts issue in mainland verses Hong Kong. I do know for sure will have more time off at HKE than HKA which is a result of the sector lengths that they fly on the A320 more than anything else. HKA flies very short sectors sometimes and have a very inefficient patterns on the A320 in comparison to HKE. At HKA you will have 3 day trips on the A320 to say Chengdu which we call a 1:0:1. So it's about 2.5-.7 from HK to Chengdu. But it's a very nice overnight. But a waste of 3 days of your life to get 5 block hours. This is how HKA manages to keep everyone around 50 block hours per month. At HKE, my understanding is that they fly say HK to Seoul overnight and comeback. 5 of those on your schedule and you are already over 50 block hours at HKE. But my understanding is that most people have very high block hours which will pay them well and give them more days of to live a life. But I believe they have some of the same structural issues with the company but I think it's a bit worst maybe at HKA. So, that is the significant difference between HKA and HKE. As well, they don't really upgrade so often, you are likely to stay an FO for a long time if you are not a DEC. But if you have specific questions about HKE, I can ask a few friends that current work there and try to relay it here.