PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Airlines (HKA)
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2017, 18:48
flyer25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salary Question

$21,000? I actually re-read my whatsapp message with my bud. He actually quoted an amount slightly higher than 21k which starts to be in the range of what management pilots make per month. This higher value seems a bit much, but 21k does appear reasonable if you are north of 90 block hours which he states that he was. You have to remember that you will make for every 10 block hours above 50 hours a different and higher pay rate at HKA; then add a few red eye payes and maybe a few callouts for standby days etc etc But I am not sure how important that fact is. He has kids and a wife in Hong Kong; and I can tell you that money was already spent before it hit his account. Yes, you can take deductions for depends in HK, however, I know a guy that pays 40k HKD for his place in Discovery Bay. $21k is about 163500 HKD. So, let's take at least 15% for HK taxes if you are smart and this accounts for the additionally taxes that you are asked to pay in advance for the next tax year. This leaves you with 139000 HKD now minus 40000 HKD for his place in DB. Now, you at 99000 HKD ($12750 USD approx.). If you have 3 kids in school, just minus $4000 USD minimum. Now you have about $ 8750 USD optomistcally to pay bills, food, utilities, travel, commute, entertainment, etc etc You can find a place cheaper in Tung Chung for much less and rent even in DB. But this is just a scenario for my buddy who pays 40K HKD for rent.