PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best airlines
Thread: Best airlines
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2017, 07:11
easyflyer83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being cabin crew in Europe and the US is a serious job. Anedotally, crew from Asian countries are courteous and friendly with excellent customer service skills but can be very subservient and timid. In my opinion, that isn't great from a 'safety professional'.

Forgetting the current BA mixed fleet situation, the mixed fleet contract is exceptionally poor, I am not entirely sure why Joe Public regard cabin crew as being a poorly paid job. In most instances, that isn't the case.

I don't want to make out that crew make mega bucks (they don't) but even at the LCC I work for, the most junior full time crew member in the UK earns between 24K and 27K a year. Certain charter crew on long haul can earn more than that too when you take into account their allowances.

The fact is that the basic salary of cabin crew is often quite low but then flight pay (the pay associated with operating flights) is added plus commission (this can be lucrative at certain carriers) and by the end you can actually earn some good money. Put it this way, I have colleagues who could not earn the same amount at most other unskilled roles, and certainly not flipping burgers.

As a cabin manager on circa £32,000 I certainly could not and with a UK national average salary, being around 27K, it begs the question, why do people believe that cabin crew is such a poorly paid job?