PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct entry F/O in major US airlines
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2017, 21:35
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
UAL777,

I have no interest in picking a fight with anyone particularly where career choices are concerned since it's rather personal. I do, however, try to understand how it all works...and ask questions because my perspective is a bit limited.

In post #10, you said, "I got hired with United from Qatar Airways..." and then went on to represent Qatar as the equal (or better) of the US legacies as a career choice:

"Some of the guys posting here are over excited about airlines like United. Yes, it's a good company to work for but its very comparable to any large airline anywhere around the world, [NOTHING SPECIAL]."

Do you see Qatar or any ME carrier as a "comparable" place where a young pilot of Western origin would go expecting to remain in an alien culture for several decades ending with a ride into the sunset with sufficient pension intact ?

I got the impression that's what you meant to say...35 y/o ME WB captain as a better choice vs 50+ y/o US legacy WB captain...

You left Qatar.

I know two people who have flown for Qatar. One left and one wants to. Hardly statistically-significant data but information nonetheless (I'll disregard all the publicity Qatar [and other ME carriers] has gotten on the management-employee front due to "cultural" differences).

Careers are marathons, not sprints. And obviously, no guarantees apply; they obviously don't with the US legacies. I can document that. But, it's a roll of the dice with the choice of where to roll them being the critical factor for the best chance of success long term.

I'm curious how any ME carrier is a better or even equal choice for a young Western person choosing a long term career path.

I'd suggest you've grabbed the brass ring by flying for UAL. Some day we all wake up 65 years old and all is revealed. ;-)))

And it's then too late to repair any damage attributable to the choices of a younger self .

Last edited by bafanguy; 18th Jan 2017 at 09:49.