PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B ground stations
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2017, 06:56
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You miss my point.

You naturally and necessarily focus on the risks of which you are aware. (And, as usual, you implicitly exaggerate the probabilities of a collision.)

We all get it that controllers have a bit of a fixation on preventing collisions, and we are very glad and thankful to controllers for that.

My point is there are often greater collision risks - what would in objective terms be more accurately described as less remote collision risks - of which you are blissfully unaware that don't result in collisions despite you not being able to notify it as traffic.

Are you aware, for example, of how many hang gliders have been operating out of places like YFBS in the last couple of weeks, and the altitudes to which they climb and the distances to which they range? Are you aware, for example, of how many gliders are operating out of places like YTEM, YCTM and YBLA at the moment, and the altitudes to which they climb and the distances to which they range? I'll bet folding money that RPT traffic into out of places like YGTH and YSWG have been close enough to a hang glider or glider as to give you palpitations, had they been blips on your radar screen. Yet no collisions.

Last edited by Creampuff; 12th Jan 2017 at 07:07.