PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Mil Control Tower designs
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2017, 15:39
langleybaston

Received 640 Likes on 231 Posts
The old ATCs with Met. underneath used to have Lamson [?] tubes connecting them, for the passage of obs. and warnings and Local Area Forecasts. These operated on air pressure, very appropriately!

Depending upon time of day and the WAAFs upstairs, other things were passed. In both directions.

If ATC were idle, we ran out of carriers, needed to ask for them back, followed by whooshing and crashing for 5 minutes.

ISTR that ATC/Met at Acklington had no running water .........the tea swindle was supplied by an urn of cold water delivered daily, and the processed water went into an external khazi, again no water. Nicosia had water but no khazi.

The sexes were not equal. Women were deemed unable to serve in such uncouth places, nor on night duty with men, unless two women were needed. This provoked a lot of mirth, as all young weather-guessers were sure they could tackle two at a time.

At HQ 1 Gp Bawtry there was [and I have seen it] bitter controversy over the "no women" ruling, led by the women, who won the battle to the extent that we had some real beauties in due course.

B G the TV guru told me that "in those days" with the bevy of talent available, that he arrived for a 6 week attachment aged 19 and left aged 90. The rhodadendrons on the south side of the park were said to be the RV.

By the time that I arrived in 1981 there were SAID to be no such goings-on.

"I do not believe it!"