PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada Rouge at Montego Bay
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2017, 19:45
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toronto Montego Bay is not a short flight. One can surmise the beginning of this swiss cheese was not reviewing the NOTAMS en-route before staring the briefing. For me that is unprofessional. Missing it before flight is one thing; missing it during the flight is not good.
Reading AV's a/c it said they were 9.9 degrees attitude near the ground. I am not an AB pilot, but in B737, at that attitude, the touchdown/runway is out of sight. You can see a lot of sky and not much ground. That in itself is a clue that all is not good with your world at that moment, and continuing might not be the best option.
IMHO all this talk about automation and this & that over complicates the more simple fact that if you can not see the target you are unlikely to hit it. They were very lucky not to plant it short of the tarmac. 125' is not much.

Back to the 2nd slice of cheese; it does seemed to have been rushed. the PM was playing with the flaps like it was a manual gear shift, without PF realising. Not good.

Air Canada Rouge did not provide flight crews with simulator training in recognizing an unstable approach leading to a missed approach. As a result, the occurrence flight crew did not recognize the multiple deviations in airspeed and thrust or the deficiencies in coordination and communication, and they continued the approach well beyond the stabilization gates.

I find this unrealistic. Every airline I've flown with had stabilised criteria. They were written down and made perfect common sense. If the parameters didn't past the test you were considered unstable. KISS. To design a simulator scenario to demonstrate unstable parameters, so the crew can experience them, is IMHO extremely difficult. They experience the stable criteria every day. If it's different and outside limits then you are unstable. To have to train with professional crews seems unrealistic.
It seems we are going to have to train crews how to do it correctly, and then let them see how it is if they screw up. Given the vast variety of possibilities we shall be flying the sim more than the real a/c.