PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADS-B ground stations
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2017, 23:32
PPRuNeUser0201

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately the coverage charts are indicative only and don't show the name of the ground station location so it's a little hard to work out where you will/won't have covereage. When suggested to Airservices that they overlay the ADS-B coverage at different altitudes on the PCA, one was told that they didn't have the capacity to do it! Take 1000 people out of that organisation after being told this means that there is zero chance of ever seeing a decent coverage chart or list of proposed ground stations, unless you're privy to ASTRA discussions.

And Dick, whilst I agree with your airmanship comments I must add to your comment on the VFR coverage for ADS-B. ADS-B is only mandated for IFR from Feb for most operations. There is no VFR mandate only a Mode-S (ADS-B compatible) upgrade requirement if you replace your existing Mode-C. I agree it would be nice to be under surveillance all the time if you have spent the $$$ to upgrade your VFR machine.

Hopefully we will see either more ground stations OR Australia using the satellite based Aireon ADS-B (https://aireon.com/resources/its-just-ads-b/) so we get full FIR coverage - for those with ADS-B antenna's able to take advantage of it.