PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who else deserved and missed out on an award.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 21:22
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
Tp, and those are known names. There are hundreds of thousands of other war heroes.
I'd go a step further and say there are probably hundreds if not thousands across the Services each year. But they miss out because either their chain of command doesn't think to write people up, cant be bothered to write people up or otherwise worthy individuals are thought to be not quite worthy enough i.e. second guessing what the system will think.

As a Flt Cdr I wrote my FS up, with a view to getting him some sort of formal honour above and beyond an AOC's commendation. I submitted the citation and forgot about it until the following year his MBE came through, one of about 7 or 8 SNCOs awarded MBEs on that one list if I recall correctly. CAS at the time noted his delight that SNCOs were getting State awards, but was disappointed that only one - my FS - had been written up for being very very good at his job. All the others were written up on the basis of worthy but non-operational secondary duties and CAS suggested we should be recognising performance in ways other than good annual appraisals. Given the current tempo and associated resource constraints, I suspect there are many more like my FS who don't make it for one or more of the reasons I suggested.

Last edited by Melchett01; 5th Jan 2017 at 21:47.