PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The grass is always greener for a New Hire pilot at SWA.
Old 4th Jan 2017, 10:00
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
"Why zero?"

A X A,

Yes, people are floating around the job market with 737 ratings.

Sloppy language on my part. What I meant to say is that I hope people aren't buying type ratings. This subject is much debated...and I can see the case for both sides of the discussion. I remain philosophically opposed to professional aviators paying for training that should come from the employer. That's just my opinion; agreement is neither expected nor required.

SWA began its life sending people to 737 school and picking up the tab. When the pilot turnover was not to their liking, they got their nose outta joint and saw that people would pay for their own rating (one way or another) and went with that until recently when they dropped the requirement to get/have the rating. This move is perhaps a sign of the times although I haven't seen any reliable data on SWA's ability to attract/retain new hires so I can't say for sure why the change in policy.

They don't have the giant percentage of mandatory retirements UAL, AA and DL have with attendant seat progression so that may influence a part of the job-hunting pilot market...I can't say for sure but it's a plausible notion.

A huge airline with more options in terms of equipment and routes may appeal to many vs decades on one airplane in an essentially domestic operation but it's an individual choice. And I'm all for CHOICES...including one to cast one's career lot with SWA.

A reasonable choice is lifestyle with a respectable income from an employer that at least has a pretense of respect for its employees.

Last edited by bafanguy; 4th Jan 2017 at 12:09.