PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPAS thread removed
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2017, 14:49
MightyGem

Received 72 Likes on 28 Posts
Some of you may remember that back in 2014, under FOI, I asked each Force who was then a member of NPAS, what was their total budget for Air Support in the Financial Year prior to them joining NPAS, and what was their contribution to NPAS for the FY 2014-15. The results are below.

While most were paying less, others were paying more, with a few, D&C, Thames Valley, Hertfordshire, were paying considerably more, often for less hours. The total number of hours were down slightly, as was the cost per flying hour. Total national savings were only £3.4M.

In November I asked NPAS what each Force paid them in the FY 2015-16, and the number of hours flown for each. The results, along with what they were paying prior to joining NPAS, are below. NPAS also included The Met, City of London and British Transport, but as they hadn’t joined in 2014, I haven’t included them.

While the majority are still paying less(but strangely two are paying exactly the same as prior to NPAS), D&C, Thames Valley and Essex are still paying considerably more, but for considerably less hours.

The majority of Forces have seen their hours reduced, some by around 50%, but the majority have seen their costs per hour increase. Just look at poor old Cleveland. Also D&C(again), GMP, S Yorks, Staffs and Warwick.

Total national savings have increased slightly to £4.6M, but hours flown have plummeted, and how many of these are 25,30 or 40 minute transit times? Not just there, but back again. The savings in cost per flying hour that had been gained in 2013-14 have been wiped out, with an overall increase of £515.

I'm sure that there are other things to be taken into account, but, since the time before NPAS, we’ve lost all those aircraft and bases for a Service that spends most of it’s flying time in transit for a saving of around £4.5M a year.