PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested in Calgary, charged with being impaired before takeoff Sunwing plane
Old 1st Jan 2017, 19:38
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flydive,

The difference is that, when I go work in another country I am required to obtain the local license. When I moved to New Zealand I earned a CPL by writing the exams and doing the flight test - just as any pilot has to do when abroad. I also applied for and obtained a work permit. Therefore, I earned and paid for the right to work in New Zealand. This is the same for most countries around the world.

The difference is that the FLVC (of which I obtained when moving back home prior to converting my licenses) is that no flight test or work permit is required. Simply a logbook, a license and a pulse - and not necessarily in that order.

I don't think anyone here would have issue with a foreign pilot working for a Canadian carrier where they hold the required Canadian license and permits.

But...you cannot blame the pilot. They're simply playing the game. It is TC who needs the wake up call.

In this case thoug, we also have a fellow pilot who obviously needs help. I don't care where he/she is from - I hope they find the help they need, but I suspect it's too little, too late. Just stay at the hotel and call in sick - way better to have that conversation with the CP than the one this pilot is having now.