PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2016, 14:44
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say well played by the airlines. For years pilots were the necessary evil. Well paid, returning only around 600 hours pa. Lush hotels, unions etc etc.
Solution, work them to the point that they have to go part time for the job to be sustainable on the body, family life etc. Back to the historic circa 600 hours pa, but at 70% of the original salary.

The other side of that coin is as the airlines expand and more pilots go part-time they need even more pilots. The business model of the 2nd tier airlines is continual expansion. They are like fish; if they stop moving they die. Allowing pilots to fly until 65 has helped some, but to survive a LoCo for 40 years you need part-time at half-life. I went 50% at 50 and slipped to 40% about 57 then 30% about 60 until 62. One wife & no kids helped immeasurably, but it was the only way for me. A balance of flying & sim also helped.
In the latter years the thought of entertaining 5 earlies or lates away from home in some basic hotel was unthinkable.
There was a question some years ago about what advice would you give to a youngster wanting to join thie rat race, and would you advise it at all. I remember the -ve answers and wonder if they are even more applicable some years later.