PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2016, 15:06
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on BA

For what it's worth I have no experience of Easy, only of Flybe. I joined BA a few years ago on the A320. Being junior and also a family man I can say that my move has been a mixed bag overall but I think I have found the answer.

I truly believe that all airlines are pushing crews harder than ever since EASA loosened the reins. The trick is to recognise this and realise that you have to make compromises to achieve the work life balance that works for you. As a Captain at BA you are undoubtedly earning a solid wage, a good proportion of which is being taxed at around 50% if you take into account NI and income tax. Add in the commuting costs, the after school clubs required for cover, the increased use of shoe leather and suddenly you'll realise that going part time will take your days off per month from around 11-12 to around 18 - and that will make a huge difference in lifestyle for what amounts to proportionally a quite small % cut in net pay.

Every job is a compromise, each company has its merits. I have friends who left Flybe for Jet2 and are enjoying living in huge farmhouses in the Yorkshire Dales working a couple of days a month in the Winter. Equally I have mates who are very happy part time at Flybe working their (excellent) part time option of a 5 days on 5 days off cycle and living in lovely houses near regional bases. The trick nowadays seems to be to be either in a charter type operator or to go part time at a scheduled operator.

As others have said we are blessed in BA in having lots of options so get out there and explore them! When your work life balance is right you will stop resenting work for taking you away from your family too much and that can only be a good thing for you, for your family and indeed for BA.

Last edited by Desk-pilot; 28th Dec 2016 at 15:26.