PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Considering leaving BA
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2016, 10:57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bex88
The issue for me is that of rostering. Yes this is due to change with jeppessen and BA's system does work for most but and its a big but for a very small number of us you never benefit from increasing seniority. If your in the bottom 1/3 today then you will be forever. With a union who have no appetite to address the problem I can't see how I will ever have any sort of lifestyle. Working every weekend and I pretty much mean every weekend drives a big wedge between you and your family.
Can you just explain that please?

I don't think you've actually confirmed whether you are ex-BMI, but some points you are making suggest you are?

It's just that I thought there were a small number of ex-BMIers who simply chose not to come over to BA T&Cs. They are rostered and handled in the exact same way as they always were at BMI? I'm guessing that's not you?

The rest of the ex-BMI captains bid and exist, in a 'bubble'. In this bubble, a representative cross section of lines of work is pre-allocated to that bubble. Those pilots bid according to their seniority. Meaning they are completely insulated from the seniority of any other BA movement on the C320 list.

So in fact you do move up the (relative) seniority, but only when ex-BMI colleagues depart. Just as you always would have??

JSS is of course, an unknown quantity for everyone.

Of course, many other options are available to you, regarding moving off the A320 at Heathrow. You could be home every night if you move to LGW with BA. You could have an easier life by moving to LH. You can take 4 weeks 'Parental Leave' per year for every qualifying child under 18. PTWK should be available. In fact, I would go as far as to say, there's no other airline with more lifestyle choices available, than where you are right now.

If you can't make 'lifestyle' work for you with all the choices available at BA, it's not obvious which airline would be better?

There are of course other types of flying available, which are far more rewarding. (Just not financially so!)