PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Firefly's
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2003, 03:56
DB6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Barney, they are very good aircraft and from the estimate mentioned when I spoke to the vendors (£50 - £100 k depending on hours) a very good deal. I don't know exact figures on maintenance but in the last 2 years at Church Fenton we had very few faults and the only major issue ( a tailplane bracket mod) has been done on all the aircraft. As to fatigue, the aircraft have been serviced and maintained with no expense spared, down to checking the oil every 25 hours rather than 50, and the way they have been flown in service is much, much kinder than at a normal club ( how many times have you seen people start up and taxi within about a minute, oil cold as a dead fish - never happened at JEFTS) plus the operation of the engine with mixture fully rich all the time means they have not been overheated, nor have they been shock cooled. Handling is the dog's bollocks, although I haven't flown a 'Dog so can't compare ( but they are better than a Tutor in virtually all respects), but there's no substitute for hp and they have plenty! For what we used them I don't know of a better aircraft and if I had the dosh I would be buying a couple.