PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2016, 16:00
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also those that have hand flown a 2000 ft climb in a real A330 at high altitude 38to40g. & have done the same in the sim; will appreciate the " vast " difference in how the aircraft handles.

I wonder how many pilots of any modern jet a/c have hand flown their steed at high FL's. During LT I always used to introduce the student to such a heresy. You could sense the pitch response in <100' deviation to avoid apoplectic ATC queries, and somewhere en-route, if you're lucky these days, there might be a track change sufficient to feel the roll sensitivity.
If cruising below RVSM it was also interesting, and if ever you found an opportunity above, it was more so.
Most enjoyed the experienced; some were nervous as a turnip on Halloween and even declined. To my knowledge it is not a standard LT item. However, when asked why do it; I replied that a u/s AP was not a reason to ground the a/c. It would still fly and be controllable. An old friend of mine, TRE A340 Air Mauritius, had to do just that after airborne from LHR all the way south. Shock horror HAL had gone AWOL at 1000'. The pilots swapped PF roles at sensible intervals. Wide eyed amazement by the F/O and all on the ground at home base.