PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 30th Sep 2016, 12:53
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
EAP86

I'm aware of at least one example where a PT officer seeing this scrubbed the item out of the contract saying that only a crown servant could authorise expenditure no matter how small the limit of liability. In effect the amount was just enough to decide whether any more effort would be required for further investigation.

Was it Def Stan 05-125 which contained this? I'm also aware of a discussion at NETMA about monitoring safety and airworthiness where the PT said "...but we do this". I can't help thinking that vague or misleading regulations contributed to the confusion. Possibly a mitigating factor in MBA's case?
The PT officer obviously didn't know that the Def Stan was mandated in every aviation related contract. This delegation to Post Design Services Officers at Design Authorities is unique, and it was why MoD Technical Agencies (uniquely) are named in contracts, whereas otherwise it is simply the post title. The PT officer you mention almost certainly wasn't a properly authorised or qualified TA. He may have been "Suitably Qualified and Experienced" as defined by the MAA, but I can assure you this comes nowhere near the criteria for a TA, who (typically) will have worked on similar kit as a fitter/technician/ diag/supervisor, then been a design draughtsman or similar, engineering staff officer in an HQ branch, promoted into MoD(PE) and been manager of scores of projects. Only then would you be considered. However, I concede this has probably been diluted since my day!

Locknuts - 100% replacement. Given there are arguments for and against re-use, it is better to be safe than sorry, for the sake of a few pence. As a young planner/examiner, I'd have been crucified if I didn't specify new nuts every time. But at front line, I accept a concession might be occasionally necessary. I always thought of this in the same way as in-line splices, being a simple greenie.