PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 27th Sep 2016, 15:59
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
If I could just add something. There are various levels of Safety Cases and Engines and I are (naturally) talking of that compiled and maintained by the DA and project teams. But you must always consider that the aircraft is not in itself a "system". A higher level system exists which includes the aircrew, maintainers and so on. The RTS includes a list of authorised Aircraft Technical Pubs for example, and it is the role of named individuals in MoD to ensure they remain valid and everyone is trained correctly in their use. So, if the FRCs are wrong (or blank as in the case of Chinook) there is a serious failure which is not the responsibility of the original designer. Similarly, if the aircraft is put to a use which is prohibited (again, Chinook) then the designer cannot be blamed. This structured approach makes it very easy to see where the breakdown occurred. In this case, I'm still struggling to understand why the HSE can't see MoD's offences. I hope MB fight their case. This could be the catalyst for the much needed scrapping of the MAA and resurrection of old, mandated policies.